Thursday, October 15, 2009

GINGERBREAD BOYS


1/3 cup shortening ( I use softened margarine)

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/2 cups dark molasses

2/3 cup cold water

7 cups flour

2 tsp soda

1 tsp salt

1 tsp allspice

1 tsp ginger

1 tsp cloves

1 tsp cinnamon


Mix shortening, sugar and molasses throughly. Stir in water. Blend in all dry ingredients. Chill for a few hours. Cover so it does not dry out. Heat oven to 350. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with gingerbread boy cutter or any desired shape cutter. Place far apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until no imprint remains when touched lightly. Ice cooled cookies if desired.



We have made these cookies every Christmas for years. They have always been a favorite of Jeff's, maybe because they were gingerbread "BOYS" - when he little he
was always watching for extra support.

3 comments:

The Duryeas said...

My sister-in-law lives for these at Christmas - I love that the recipe makes a ton and they freeze well.

Courtney said...

I can see Hinckley in Jeff's sneaky smile in that first picture. Thanks so much for sharing Marilee!!

Baldwin Family said...

I love making these every year. My favorite decorating accessory for these is mini m&ms. I love those pictures! I remember that green couch and those geese by the fence. We used to fight over which goose we were and Maegan was always the prettiest one! It made me so mad...